Saturday, January 5, 2019

BUDGET TRAVEL TO INCREDIBLE INDIA: ROAMING AROUND MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA

July 11, 2018
MABUHAY!
This is a photo and video journal of our budget travel to the incredible country of India featuring our visit to the magnificent city of Mumbai, Maharashtra.
 ARRIVAL IN MUMBAI DOMESTIC AIRPORT
It was a rainy afternoon when our plane departed in Cochin Domestic Airport. We saw in the TV news some areas in Mumbai were damaged by the heavy rains. Nevertheless, we arrived safely in Mumbai Domestic Airport and we are a bit surprised that the weather is already clear.




Inside Mumbai Domestic Airport. Image of Emperor CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ, founder of Maratha Empire.


CLICK the LINK to READ the related article: Budget Travel to Ho Chi Minh City Day 3







LUNCHTIME
Our Indian friend, Arvin greeted us at the airport. Then he took us to the nearby airport food court and savor some Indian cuisine.


Roti - an Indian flatbread


Bhatura - a floppy deep fried leavened bread


CLICK the LINK to READ the related article: Business Travel to China Day 1: Arrival at Baiyun International Airport, Guangzhou

ROAMING AROUND MUMBAI
I was really amazed by the rich architectural heritage of this area which is mostly of European motifs.






CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS
Formerly known as Victoria Terminus, this historic railway station is included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site List. It was built in 1887 and designed by Frederick William Stevens to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. In 2017, it was renamed Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus in honor of Emperor Chhatrapati Shivaji, founder of Maratha Empire.







CLICK the LINK to READ the related article: 2nd Day Travel To Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, MALAYSIA









Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, Mumbai


MUNICIPAL CORPORATION OF GREATER MUMBAI BUILDING
This building is built in 1893 and houses the largest civic organization in Asia. It was also designed by Frederick William Stevens.


GATEWAY OF INDIA
The Gateway of India is an arch monument built during the 20th century in MumbaiIndiaThe monument was erected to commemorate the landing of King George V and Queen Mary at Apollo Bunder on their visit to India in 1911.
The front facade


CLICK the LINK to READ the related article: Travel To SINGAPORE - From Arrival to Day 1

The statue of Emperor Chhatrapati Shivaji, founder of the Maratha Empire
Gateway of India, Mumbai


STREET FOODS
I was not able to get the names of these foods but their delicious taste remains in my memory.



This is a strawberry fruit shake drink.


A bread meal dipped in curry sauce with a variety of chips, beans, and onions.

This is also a bread snack with sauce

Sweet round pudding

Taste like yogurt




CLICK the LINK to READ the related article: Trip to THAILAND Day 3

TRAIN RIDE IN MUMBAI
Our train ride in Mumbai is really an adventure. Our first travel is from the Mumbai Domestic airport going to the Gateway of India monument. At first, it is a typical ride with lots of commuters. Getting out of the train is the REAL challenge. I was mobbed by so many passengers.
I am behind my wife and our Indian friend Arvin just a few steps from the train door. Some passengers, knowing that we are foreigners, warned us not to alight the train but to stay in our seats. I saw crowds of people getting in while the train is slowly stopping. Then I saw Arvin and my wife get out already. I try to squeeze in to get out but I was blocked. Someone is pushing me at the back for me to get out and in front, a crowd of people is blocking me trying to get in. I was trapped. Then somebody in front grabbed my strapped body bag for me to get out. When I'm already out, my wife hugged me. Arvin smiled at me then asked me if I'm OK. Well, I'm really speechless. My face turned red and I could not believe what I just encountered.










I saw this group of passengers playing cards upon entering the train.




After taking our dinner, we then waited at Dadar station to ride again another train to get to the train station for us to go to Godhra. When the train stop, again the crowd of people tried to enter in while the train was still slowly running to stop. After stopping, a few seconds only, the train suddenly started to roll. I was trying to grip the train's door handle but I was pushed aside by some passengers getting in. My wife and Arvin already get inside. I let go of my grip on the handle thinking I'll fall on the tracks. I just hope that Arvin will come back for me. I waited for them on the same spot where we waited for the train. After around an hour, Arvin, came back for me. With a smile on his face, he said, "This is just a typical ordinary rush hour in Mumbai."

Train Ride in Mumbai

CLICK the LINK to READ the related article: Exploring the Angkor temple Complex, Cambodia: Banteay Kdei Temple




2 comments: